Monday, September 9, 2013

Picture a day September 9

The truth is, the most interesting things that I see day to day, the ones that are part of my daily life that are vastly different from life in the States, are not things I can take pictures of. They are the up close pictures of life and culture and poverty that surround me. This is one such cultural moment that I did manage to sneak a picture of, even though it's blurry. On my two minute walk to work, I often see barefoot monks walking around collecting alms so that people can make merit. I'll be honest, I don't totally understand it and it still isn't all that normal to me. This morning I happened to be walking behind two monks and their helper (in the pink shirt) who walks behind and carries things for them. It's hard to get a shot of the front two, or any of them, without being rude, but I think you get the idea from this, which is taken right outside of our school. Sometimes when I see them I see people stop them, wai (bow) to them, and give them food or something like that. Usually when I see that happen, I take a moment to pray for the people making merit, pray that God would open their eyes to the futility of idols and to the hope and grace that is found in Jesus alone. May God shine light into the darkness that is all around us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment