Sunday, January 29, 2012

A latte to be thankful for!

I have so much to be thankful for!  I have been feeling so blessed this week that God has called me to come to Thailand to do what I love to do- teach. It was an exhausting week at work, but it was also one where I saw small breakthroughs with some struggling students, one where I got to talk and pray with students who were having a hard time with things in their personal lives, one where I was able to share with the staff the story of God's hand in my life, in short, one where I could use the gifts that God has given me for his glory.  I also had the opportunity yesterday to take a break from the daily grind to celebrate friendship at an awesome Audrey Hepburn inspired cafe, right here in Bangkok!  My friend and I enjoyed the atmosphere along side smoked salmon salad, crab souffle, homemade scones, black pepper and garlic chicken, all topped off by a Thai tea cake, carrot cake, and lattes!

In addition, my friend who was supposed to leave for India this week won't be going.  Her visa fell through, which is bad news, I know, but it does mean that I'll have her around for a while longer, to love deeply and hold loosely.  

I'm also thankful that today I got to teach my first official Nak Suu English lesson- the first half of which was a hilarious circus as I adjust to the new teaching setting, and the second half of which went well- kids playing Uno and saying the color names as they played their cards.  I managed to pause for translation on occasion (I need to work on doing that more) and only said "muy bien" once (the espanglish must go during these lessons) in the midst of the circus.  I just love hanging out with these kids and being a part of this program.  Normally the program runs on Saturdays, but we have to run it on Sunday for a few weeks due to the kids being in school on Saturdays to make up for missed flood days (yuck!). 

Today I read Psalm 103, and though its text is quite familiar, I was struck today by the amazing truth in verses 11 and 12: "For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."  I guess there are days when I feel more "barely forgiven" than that God has removed my sin as far as the east is from the west.  So today I find myself also thankful that God's love for me is as great as the distance from heaven to earth, that he has removed my sin as far as the east is from the west. 

Muy buena onda!

So fantastically yummy!

Ending the meal with latte and cake!
PS- If someone wanted to come finish my grad class for me, my life just might be complete.  I'm half way through the work and the deadline I've given myself is 2012 Opening Day. It's not that the work is that overwhelming, it's just that the last thing I want to do after writing real lesson plans all week is write a bunch of fake ones for this class!  But, the certificate must be renewed...

No comments:

Post a Comment