Saturday, January 7, 2012

Luxury Items

When I flew out here in July, my bags were filled to the brim with necessities (mostly). So this trip was my opportunity to bring some luxury items, though plenty of space and weight still went to necessities and items I picked up for other people.  I would like to state for the record, that each of my bags weighed in at 48.5 lbs.  On the one hand, that is a success.  On the other hand, with 3 more pounds on the table I could've fit another book or two...

A few special items that made the trip with me yesterday:
  • My Henri Nouwen books (including the two I added to my collection last week)
  • My ice skates
  • The t-shirt quilt my mom made for me while I was in Argentina
  • My 4" silver stilettos 
  • The glass art my dad made me for Christmas- first time his glass has been able to make the overseas trek
  • Mis libros en español
  • A painting of the NYC skyline 
  • My new carry-on bag, whose handle does not detach when you pull on it.  Very nice feature. 
  • Yerba mate
  • Frutigran biscuits from Argentina
The flights went well, as in they were on time and there wasn't much turbulence.  But man do I hate flying into the jet stream.  The 5 1/2 hour flight from Bangkok to Tokyo took 7 hours going the other way.  Not to mention the 10 1/2 hour flight from Tokyo to Detroit that took 13 1/2 hours in reverse!   I've been greeted by a warm breezy brilliantly sunny Saturday, and as excited as I am to see my friends and catch up with everyone, I am really enjoying this introvert day to rest and putz around my apartment.  Maybe I'll even go make another cup of tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment