Wednesday, March 7, 2012

And the transition goes on...

The longer I am in Thailand, the more I realize how lucky I was in my transition to Argentina.  I have always known that it was an easy one and that it went really smoothly.  Until now, however, I didn't fully realize just how good I had it.  It's just as well they came in this order, four and a half years ago I don't know that I could have withstood this, and that may have been the end of my missionary-teacher career.  This time around, I am seven and a half months in and I continue to feel the pitches and rolls of transition, and it's not unusual.  Nor is it going to stop me.  I've (mostly) quit analyzing what has made the difference in the two transitions as I continue to adjust and find my place at ICS and in Bangkok, and as I learn each day more and more where my strength truly lies.

This morning I had the chance to skype with my amazing sister (thanks to a day off school due to a Buddhist holiday today) and we were remarking about how in three short months I'll be home and have the first year under my belt.  Hard to believe that the 3rd quarter at school wraps up next week and we will soon be on the homestretch.  My experience in Buenos Aires was that going back for the second year was harder than the first arrival: things weren't new and exciting anymore- it was just work.  But I'm hopeful that my resettlement next August may prove to be different, especially if I can get some of the hurdles of moving (such as getting internet and wifi set up in an off-campus apartment) out of the way before I leave in June.

Last night, since it was a fake-Friday night, my friend and I had dinner and tea at a Moroccan tea house downtown.  Under the glow of lantern light and mosquito repellent we talked and laughed and cried until way past my bedtime.  In an outdoor courtyard where the warm summer night was able to curl up around us, we encouraged one another and prayed for each other as only God could have ordained.  It doesn't take the transition away, but it was a powerful reminder of many of the things I love about being here and doing what I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment