Saturday, March 24, 2012

A few of my favorite things...

The past week to 10 days here could be described in one wonderful word: routine.  Lots of different pieces of life have fallen into place that has given my days a rhythm they've not had before in Bangkok, and it's been really nice.  This week I had a chance to sit and reflect on some of my favorite things about living in Bangkok:
  • Fruit.  I love that a variety of fruit is available nearby peeled and sliced and ready to go, all for a great price.  The fruit stand just down the street from school is one of my favorite stops. Quick, easy, cheap, and healthy.  
  • Riding on the back of motorcycles.  I love that this is a regular part of my life. I love that last week I had 8 mototaxi rides in a matter of 3 days.  I love it's just part of my routine now. 
  • Starting to speak and understand a bit of Thai.  Usually this is pretty limited to giving directions to taxis or ordering food, but today I was able to talk to the woman who cleans my house and arrange for her to come on a different day this week- and I did it all by myself :)  With language learning being so full of frustration and misunderstands, one of my favorite things is definitely speaking and being understood or hearing and understanding. 
  • Seeing God at work in hearts and lives. I love the moments where I can see or learn about what God is doing in my students or in people who are exploring who God is at my church or in the kids at Nak Suu.  
  • Friendships.  I love the people in my life who encourage me, listen to me, share their lives with me, and spend time laughing with (and occasionally at) me.  
  • The heat.  I know, it's crazy hot here.  90's and humid all the time.  The sun is wicked intense.  You can't go anywhere without sweating.  And sure, I would love a few beautiful sunny warmish but not blazing hot days, especially as we head into the hottest month of the year.  But really, I have no complaints.  I never wear socks or proper shoes.  I never need mittens or long underwear.  I can feel my nose at all times.  My skin, nails, lips, and hair don't dry out.  Bliss. 
  • Public transport. I like using the skytrain and buses and taxis and my own two feet.  I like that I am able to get around pretty well on my own.  I love that I never have to drive!
  • Nak Suu.  This next month is summer break for Nak Suu, and I'll miss it. I like the regular part of my life that it has become.  I made a commitment to help out for one semester, but I don't really see myself stopping.  I like teaching these kids English.  I like learning their names, being able to talk to them more as I learn more Thai and I teach them more English.  I like running around on the rugby field with them from time to time.  I like their eagerness to work on their "th" sounds.  I like hearing them pray, hearing them talk about their faith in the living God. 
I also really love my Saturday afternoon naps :)  After a long hot sticky morning at Nak Suu, I come home to eat and shower and collapse on the couch to the pleasant hum of my air conditioner...

No comments:

Post a Comment